Completing the Mitchell Scholar Application
All application materials must be complete and submitted by 5:00 pm Eastern Time on October 1, 2013. All information and supporting documents including recommendations and institutional endorsements must be submitted through the online application on our website.
The applicant is solely responsible for ensuring all necessary materials are received and for submitting his or her application on time, including the receipt of recommendations. For full-time students, your campus deadline for an institutional endorsement will be earlier than the Mitchell application deadline, and in some cases, may be much earlier. Please seek out the campus fellowship advisor for these details before starting the application process.
Once your application has been received and certified as complete after the initial deadline, you will receive information about the required video interview. You will have approximately 48 hours to submit the video interview. The video portion of the application must be complete and submitted by 5:00 pm Eastern Time on October 4, 2013.
The video interview is simply another way for us to get to know candidates better. Mitchell Scholars will represent their schools, their country, and our organization when in Ireland and Northern Ireland. We want to see how well candidates express themselves in a spontaneous manner. There are no right or wrong answers. We expect that candidates will respect the integrity of this process by not sharing the questions with others.
To complete the video interview you must have a good internet connection, a quiet place in which to record the interview, and a computer equipped with a webcam and microphone. The interview will take less than 10 minutes. You will have the opportunity to do practice interviews. Once you start the real interview, you will not be able to pause or take a break. You will see three questions written in text on your screen, and you will respond orally to them in the time allotted. Your responses will be recorded.
Materials Needed to Complete the Application
Materials you will need to complete the Mitchell Scholarship application:
- Passport-style photo (PDF)
- All transcripts scanned into a single PDF (please block out your Social Security number if visible). This should include any undergraduate and graduate work you have completed.
- Personal statement (1,000 words maximum – most applicants find it helpful to write this in advance). The personal statement or essay is your opportunity to share your personality, passion and drive with the selection committee that cannot be communicated elsewhere in the application materials. You will be required to affirm that this is your original work.
- A scan of your signature (PDF)
Information Needed to Complete the Application
- Contact information for 4 Recommenders including email, mailing address and phone number.
- Contact information for Institutional Endorser (for full time students)
- Complete mailing address of your university
- University choices and field of study options - We recommend that you choose at least three programs at three different universities, and you may list as many as five. Choosing fewer than three can weaken your candidacy. When you evaluate programs, remember that the Mitchell Scholarship Program provides funding for one year only and there is no provision for a second year.
- Information about your awards, achievements, community service, etc.
The Mitchell Scholarship Program will ask applicants selected as finalists to provide:
- Proof of US Citizenship – See a list of acceptable documents to prove U.S. Citizenship: http://www.dshs.wa.gov/pdf/Publications/22-1155.pdf
- Official hard copies of all transcripts